New Faculty: Sergio Luzzatto

Sergio Luzzatto headshot

Photo courtesy of Sergio Luzzatto.

Sergio Luzzatto

Emiliana Pasca Noether Chair in Modern Italian History

Sergio Luzzatto trained as an Early Modern European history specialist in Pisa and in Paris, and his research interests brought him to Contemporary European history. His Ph.D. dissertation and his earliest publications dealt with the French Revolution and its aftermath in 19th-century Europe. Starting in the mid-1990s, his academic work shifted to focus on 20th-century Italy.

Three of his books originally published in Italian—The Body of Il Duce (2005), Padre Pio (2011), and Primo Levi’s Resistance (2016)—have been translated into English, French, and several other languages, and have been widely reviewed both in academic publications and in the cultural press. For one of them, he won the Cundill Prize for History in 2011.

His latest monograph, published in Italy in 2018 as I bambini di Moshe (“Moshe’s Children”), focuses on a Holocaust-related subject. It is due for translation into English and/or Hebrew with the official support of the Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.

Luzzatto is also the co-editor of the two-volume Dizionario del fascismo (“Dictionary of Fascism”: Einaudi, Turin 2002-2003) and the three-volume Atlante della letteratura italiana (“Atlas of Italian Literature”, Einaudi, Turin 2010-2012).

Q&A with Sergio Luzzatto

What are your research interests?

My current project deals with the history of terrorism in Italy, from the late 1960s to the early 1980s.

What drew you to UConn?

Having spent most of my career in Italy—I was previously “Professore Ordinario” (full professor) in Modern European History at the University of Turin—I am now keen to start a new chapter of my professional life in the U.S. I am motivated to take this lifechanging step by the prestige of the Emiliana Pasca Noether Chair in Modern Italian history, the opportunity to teach at an outstanding public university, and family reasons (my wife is a senior official at the United Nations).

1. Dec 10 PhD Dissertation Defense3:00pm
  2. Dec 11 Chemistry Colloquium: Marcus Foston, Washington University in St Louis2:15pm
  3. Dec 12 Doctoral Dissertation Oral Defense of Spandana Naldiga1:00pm
  4. Dec 12 Condensed Matter Physics Seminar2:00pm
  5. Dec 12 State Archaeologist Candidate Presentation: Sarah Sportman, PhD3:00pm