New Faculty: Daniel Anglés-Alcázar

Daniel Angles-Alcaza headshot

Photo courtesy of Daniel Anglés-Alcázar.

Daniel Anglés-Alcázar

Assistant Professor of Physics

Daniel Anglés-Alcázar joined the University of Connecticut in the fall 2019 as an assistant professor in the Department of Physics. He is also an associate research scientist at the Center for Computational Astrophysics of the Flatiron Institute. Prior to joining UConn, Anglés-Alcázar was a Flatiron Research Fellow at the Flatiron Institute and a CIERA Postdoctoral Fellow at Northwestern University. He holds a Ph.D. in physics from the University of Arizona, an MS in physics from the University of Puerto Rico, and a BS (Licenciatura) in physics from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.

Q&A with Daniel Anglés-Alcázar

What are your research interests?

I am a theoretical astrophysicist with broad interests in galaxy evolution, from the formation of stars and the impact of supernova explosions to the co-evolution of supermassive black holes and galaxies and the growth of large-scale structure in the Universe. I develop large numerical simulations and analysis tools to understand the multi-scale physical processes that govern galaxy evolution. Much of my current research focuses on understanding the exchange of mass, energy, and heavy elements between galaxies and their surrounding circumgalactic medium, and the growth and impact of feedback from central supermassive black holes.

How did you become interested in this type of work?

I have been fascinated with the mysteries of the universe since I was a kid. I used to read astronomy magazines and explore the night sky with a small telescope in the backyard. Pursuing a BS in physics was the most natural choice for me to satisfy my curiosity of how the universe works. I realized along the way that a career in theoretical astrophysics was an excellent match to my interests.

What drew you to UConn?

I was inspired by the very active, growing astronomy group at UConn and the support and commitment of the Department of Physics and the University to building a strong astrophysics program.

What courses will you be teaching this year?

I will be on research leave this year, but I look forward to teaching at UConn in the fall of 2020!

1. Dec 10 PhD Dissertation Defense3:00pm
  2. Dec 11 Chemistry Colloquium: Marcus Foston, Washington University in St Louis2:15pm
  3. Dec 12 Doctoral Dissertation Oral Defense of Spandana Naldiga1:00pm
  4. Dec 12 Condensed Matter Physics Seminar2:00pm
  5. Dec 12 State Archaeologist Candidate Presentation: Sarah Sportman, PhD3:00pm