Dean Jeremy Teitelbaum to Serve as Interim Provost

jeremy head shotJeremy Teitelbaum, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, has been named Interim Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs for the University of Connecticut. He will assume this position on February 1, 2017.

Teitelbaum came to UConn in 2008 from the University of Illinois at Chicago, where he was senior associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and professor of mathematics.

“Jeremy has served with great distinction as the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at UConn since 2008 and is highly respected among fellow deans and our faculty, staff, and students,” said UConn President Susan Herbst in a statement.

“Serving as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has been the great honor of my professional life,” Teitelbaum says. “I am deeply grateful to the staff in the Dean’s Office, to the Associate Deans of the college both past and present, to the Department Heads and Institute Directors, and to the entire faculty of the college for their support and for the stimulating intellectual environment that they have created here at UConn.

“I thank Provost Mun Choi for his leadership and his integrity during his time as provost, and Vice Provosts Sally Reis and Amy Donahue for their many efforts in support of the College and of me personally. I will take on these new responsibilities starting in February out of a sense of service to the University I have come to love, and I am grateful to President Herbst for her confidence in me. In the meantime I look forward to continuing as Dean of CLAS and to continuing to work with Provost Choi and his staff.”

A native of New York City who grew up in Denver, Teitelbaum earned a BA in mathematics summa cum laude from Carleton College and a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University. He was on the faculty of the University of Michigan before joining the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1990.

He is best known academically for his work in number theory, particularly a series of papers with Peter Schneider, of Munster, Germany, on the development of locally analytic representation theory.

Teitelbaum will continue as dean of CLAS until he assumes his new position on February 1, 2017 as current Provost Mun Choi becomes President of the University of Missouri.

An interim dean for the College will be appointed in the coming weeks.