The International Language of Science

Professor Peczuh, (center) with a group of friends in Sitges, Spain (Photo courtesy of Merk Peczuh).

I can’t say it plainly enough. My experience as a Fulbright fellow in Barcelona this past year transformed me, both professionally and personally. I returned to Connecticut not only with a broader perspective on my research but with a profound sense of place and the amazing impact of personal relationships.

Perhaps most importantly, I returned with a sense of what I had always known but had never experienced quite like this: science is an international language, spoken around the world by people with a thirst for new knowledge.

When I first arrived in Barcelona, my life was a maelstrom of impressions and emotions: new sights, new smells, late lunch and later dinner, hearing and speaking the Catalan language, the kindness of the locals, and somehow within it all, a sense of solitude. I had chosen to work at the Chemistry Institute of Sarria (IQS) with Professor Antoni Planas, known to everyone as Toni. My host and his laboratory were the one constant during my transition.

Read more at UConn Today

By: Mark Peczuh, Department of Chemistry