Hanging Out with Nobelists

HGenuino6a

Homer Genuino with Steven Chu during one of the coffee breaks. Chu is the 12th U.S. Secretary of the Department of Energy and a co-winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997.

This post is contributed by Homer Genuino, Ph.D. student in the Department of Chemistry.

People joke that the earth tilted from June 30 to July 5, 2013, as the world’s brain power had concentrated again in one place – a small lovely island in Germany called Lindau — where 34 Nobel Laureates and approximately 600 of the brightest young researchers from 78 different countries congregated for the 63rd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting. As one of the participants this year, I was very fortunate to witness this phenomenon, at least figuratively.

The 2013 meeting was dedicated to the Nobel Prize discipline of Chemistry, the subject closest to my heart. Three main themes emerged: (1) Green Chemistry, (2) Chemical Energy Storage and Conversion, and (3) Biochemical Processes and Structures. I have always believed that learning Chemistry is the key to opening doors for work in multiple areas of scientific research. With no regrets, science has been the right choice for me.

Read More